I’m a lifelong bookworm and editor by trade. I’ve worked for magazines, newspapers, publishers, and in marketing departments.
I’ve been an editor since high school. I’ve put my Indiana University English degree to good use! You can find me on LinkedIn here.
I LOVE working with writers. I’m one myself, so my perspective on the editing process is always tempered to a writer’s sensibilities. I’m also an inveterate reader, so whenever I’m working on a book, I’m editing with the reader in mind. That’s how I developed my specialty “Reader’s Edit” package.
Here’s what I do really well: Work in a writer’s voice. YOUR voice. I’m like a writer ventriloquist. I’ve worked for bowhunters (and I’m not a hunter), for engineers (believe me, not one), a religious publisher (not my religion) and for an African-American newspaper (again, which I’m not). Shoot me a dozen pages as a trial, and I’ll show you.
Here’s what I can do for you:
- Indie authors a specialty (others are welcome, too)
- My specialty “Reader’s Edit,” a dynamic mix of alpha reading, developmental editing, copy/line editing and free editing of either your book blurb or newsletter.
- Writing help
- Developmental editing
- Copyediting, light or heavy, fiction or nonfiction
- Beta reading
- Back cover blurbs! Fast!
- Social media coaching (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram)
- Author platform coaching (Yes, you can do it yourself!)
- Newsletter writing, editing, and list management
- Ad copy
- Website support (WordPress and other content management system help; content management, blog support)
- And if you’d like to learn to be a better writer, I’m happy to help.
I work in Word 365 and Google Docs.
Deadlines taken seriously. Flexibility in adapting to your work flow.
If someone’s told you that you need an author platform, I can help you build it. The last three years I’ve had the opportunity to work with authors in helping them build their author platform. Especially for folks just getting started, I recommend a focused, stripped-down approach that’s not too overwhelming that includes a website, newsletter, Facebook author page (and eventually a group), Instagram, Amazon author page and if you’re feeling wild, Twitter. There’s a lot more out there, but if you’re busy writing, you want to utilize your social time for the best results. I can help you do that.
I’ve worked on websites and in social media since the turn of the century (I know!) This site? I used my experience with WordPress and other web content-management systems to build it. I can help you, too.
One more thing. Have you ever heard of a MOOC? It’s a Massive Open Online Course. I love poetry, and though that love have earned two certificates from, and have been selected as a community teaching assistant for, one of the largest MOOCs in the world, Modern & Contemporary American Poetry (ModPo), offered through the University of Pennsylvania. More about ModPo here.